Certified Death Certificates
How many certified death certificates do I need?
One of the most common questions aCremation is asked by families is how many death certificates they need to order. Below is a list of areas where you may need (or want) a certified death certificate.
Ordering Death Certificates
aCremation places the initial order for death certificates, when possible. Or you can order your own additional copies through the State of Texas.
Important: It is up to the financial institution to determine whether a copy of a death certificate is acceptable or if it must be a certified death certificate. In some cases, you may need to provide additional death certificates if there are multiple accounts. We recommend you check with the institution directly for their requirements.
- Family member personal records (if desired)
- Ancestry documentation (if desired)
- Probating a Will
- Income Tax filings (IRS)
- Life insurance policy claim(s)
- Real estate transactions
- Other titled assets
- Stock/bond/brokerage accounts
- Oil/gas leases
- Bank accounts (including savings, checking, CDs, IRAs)
- Purchases with credit life attached
- Credit card companies
- Prearranged funeral/cemetery
- Social Security benefits for minor children
- Employer’s claims / pension-retirement benefits