There are veteran benefits available to the families of deceased honorably discharged United States Veterans who choose cremation.
Burial in a National Cemetery
Burial benefits for cremated remains in any of 131 national cemeteries with available space. Some Veterans may be eligible for burial allowances based on several factors being met.
Benefits are available for eligible spouses and dependents buried in a national cemetery include burial with the Veteran at no cost to the family even if they predecease the Veteran.
Burial in a Private Cemetery
Burial benefits are available for Veterans buried in a private cemetery.
Provided with a Veteran’s Burial Benefits at no cost:
- Government headstone or marker
- Burial flag,
- Presidential Memorial Certificate
- Military honors (Section 578 on the National Defense Act), if desired. More information is available at the Department of Defense website.
Who to Contact
Requests for burial in a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemetery cannot be made via the Internet.
- Contact your local veterans affairs office or visit the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery System Burial and Memorial Benefits Site
- Burial Allowance Information: Call 800-827-1000