Funeral Costs Can’t Be A Secret
For most families in California and Texas, money isn’t the first thought when faced with losing a loved one. But at some point, the cost must be addressed. The last thing grieving family members need is “sticker shock” when they see the bill.
Trust is a vital part of our business. That’s why transparency in pricing is essential. It maintains the trust we build with our clients. It is also the law.
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has placed specific requirements and restrictions upon funeral establishments in the Funeral Rule. The Funeral Rule requires us to give consumers accurate, itemized price information and various other disclosures about funeral goods and services. In addition, the Rule prohibits us and other cremation service providers from:
- misrepresenting legal, crematory, and cemetery requirements;
- embalming for a fee without permission;
- requiring the purchase of a casket for direct cremation;
- requiring consumers to buy certain funeral goods or services as a condition for furnishing other funeral goods or services; and
- engaging in other deceptive or unfair practices.
Violations of the Funeral Rule can result in penalties of up to $10,000 per violation. As a licensed funeral establishment in California and Texas, aCremation takes this very seriously.
Although additional services may be included, at a minimum, the General Price List (GPL) must include the price of basic services provided by the funeral establishment, along with the date the prices are effective and a description of the services. Examples include:
- Forwarding remains to another funeral establishment – May include embalming, removal of remains, minimum service of staff, necessary authorizations, and local transportation.
- Receiving remains from another funeral establishment – May include minimum service of staff and transportation of remains to funeral establishment.
- Direct cremation – May include basic services of funeral director and staff, a proportionate share of overhead costs, removal of remains, necessary authorizations, and cremation.
- Transfer of remains to funeral establishment – A flat fee may apply weekdays, nights, weekends, and holidays within a specific area, with mileage charges for transportation outside the area.
With aCremation, you can count on clear pricing with no hidden costs. In fact, pricing for our affordable cremation services in the California and Texas areas we serve is easily found from any page on our www.aCremation.com website including a link to our General Price List in the footer of every page. If you need additional information, our professional and helpful Arrangement Counselors are always available by calling us toll-free at 1-877-353-3626.